Whenever we bond with someone, attachment cords (energetic ties) are created, which travel from our heart chakra to the other person’s heart chakra or from solar plexus to solar plexus, as this is the chakra directly related to our emotions.
When energetic cords have developed for purposes other than a heart or soul connection, the cords could be anywhere in the body. There may be numerous cords, and they may be in various shapes, strengths and sizes.
When cords have been formed, we have direct access to another person’s emotional, mental, spiritual and physical state, as well as their intentions and capabilities, which also enables a transfer of energy.
Energetic cords can provide us with a detailed insight enabling us to read someone else’s energy clearly, and also so that we can send and receive emotions. Cords enable us to communicate easily and just know information about the other person, without any words or actions.
However, cords can also drain and deplete us if we are radiating too much energy through them, or if the other person is aware that a cord is in place, and their impulse is to draw on whatever is available so they can draw energy from us. This can happen when we have entered a relationship with someone, believing they have good intentions, when they have no desire to establish anything meaningful, and they are manipulative in the hope that they will gain something.
Deciding with our head that we want to move on from previous experiences is not always enough. We sometimes need to energetically disconnect emotions and feelings, and really feel that we are ready to make the break.
If we want to let go of an attachment to someone, we can sever the energetic ties. We may choose this if we are obsessively thinking about an ex-partner, feeling remnants of pain due to old memories, feeling resentment or bitterness due to a past grievance, feeling tied in or drawn toward someone as though they have a hold over us, or if we are simply finding it difficult to move on and start over.
If we do not sever the ties, we may keep getting caught up in low frequency relationships, which is why we attract similar types of people (or the same kinds of relationships) over and again, as the cords in place are keeping us connected to the past.
Sometimes energetic cords are mutual and have valves going each way so that energy is relayed and received. Other times they have a one-way valve that gives out energy but receives no return flow. If we are in a relationship and we are sending out waves of energy but not receiving a flow in return, it is likely that we are involved with someone who is emotionally unavailable, and if we continue to do this without regularly recharging our own energy, we will very quickly become drained.
Sometimes we want to cut a cord with someone so we can detangle ourselves from negative interactions and emotions, but we do not want the person to physically leave our lives. When we remove these low frequency cords, we can still remain connected to the person, but the dynamics will change.
Cord cutting can be used in current relationships that have painful history, especially if there are triggers causing arguments over the same thing continuously. In these cases, we can locate the cords that are influencing our emotions and causing us to instinctively react, while leaving the positive cords intact. Our relationship will not suffer when we cut these cords, as only the negative aspect of the relationship will be eliminated.
To locate the cords, we need to use our intuitive senses to guide us, as the majority of suppressed emotions connected to the cord are deep within our unconscious mind. When we have located the area of the cord, we can raise our awareness and keep our attention on the cord to gain an insight into why it is there, and what emotion or belief of ours allowed it to form.
When we attune to the vibration of the cords and pay attention to the sensations within our physical body and energetic field, we will easily recognize the difference between healthy and unhealthy connections.
Healthy, high vibrational cords are connected to our energy field and are found radiating from our aura. They do not pull in energy, but the energy they radiate is extremely powerful and offers unconditional love, humility, care, kindness, compassion and spiritual growth. Healthy cords have a very light, pure and clear vibration, and they are also known as “spiritual ties.”
Unhealthy, low, dense vibrational cords are based on dysfunction and are created due to things such as desire, control, fear, anger, abandonment, frustration, rejection, resentment, insecurity and material or financial benefits. The cords feel thick and heavy and their vibration is dense. They will likely feel tender, and the area around them may ache. If there has been trauma or heartbreak associated with the cord, the pain will keep repeating until we are ready to release it and let go of the memories.
If someone has connected a cord to us, they may be depleting us without us realizing it, and the cord may not be at the heart or anywhere obvious, so we may have to scan the body to find where the entrance to the attachment cord is—and we also have to scan to see how many they have connected. If we have poured a lot of emotion, time and energy into a relationship—or if the other person has invested a lot—the bond could be particularly strong, therefore the cord will also have resilience and strength.
Cord cutting is done using visualization by focusing on one cord at a time. When we are lying still, with our eyes closed, inhaling and exhaling deeply, we can scan how our entire body feels and focus on our sensations. We may begin to notice a dense, heavy feeling in certain areas that we are drawn towards and that will likely be the cord that is the most significant and powerful one. We can then set the intention to cut the cord and visualize severing it with scissors or any sharp instrument.
1. Ground Yourself: Before attempting any energetic work, it’s important to ground yourself. This involves connecting with the present moment and feeling rooted to the Earth. You can achieve this through deep breathing, meditation, or visualization techniques.
2. Set Intentions: Clarify your intention for cutting the energetic cords. Identify the relationships, situations, or emotions that you feel are draining your energy or preventing your growth. It’s important to approach this process with mindfulness and the intention to release, rather than out of anger or resentment.
3. Visualization: Many practitioners use visualization techniques to imagine the energetic cords connecting them to the source of their attachment. Picture these cords as actual energetic lines or threads linking you to the person or situation. Visualize these cords as distinct from your energy, making it easier to cut them.
4. Cutting the Cords: Imagine a tool or method for cutting the cords. This could be a pair of scissors, a knife, or any other symbolic object that resonates with you. As you visualize this, imagine yourself cutting the cords one by one. As each cord is cut, visualize it dissolving and disappearing, allowing you to reclaim your energy.
5. Releasing with Love and Forgiveness: As you cut the cords, focus on releasing the attachments with love and forgiveness. This is not about severing connections in a negative way but about freeing yourself from what no longer serves you. Send positive energy and gratitude to the people or situations you’re detaching from, even if they were challenging.
6. Cleansing and Protection: After cutting the cords, it’s recommended to cleanse and protect your energy. You can do this through meditation, smudging with sage or other cleansing herbs, taking a salt bath, or using protective visualization techniques. This helps prevent new attachments from forming immediately.
7. Self-Care and Healing: When you have cut the cords, you can pour healing, love and light where the cord has been severed. If you leave an open energetic wound, it is likely a new cord will quickly attach.
After cutting cords we may feel a little unsettled, anxious and overly emotional. However, once we meditate and ground ourselves, these feelings should dissipate, and we will feel lighter, freer, calmer and more balanced. If we feel the same way as we did before the process, we have not severed the cord properly and removed it from its root, so we can return and repeat the process.
When we have cut a cord, the other person may notice it energetically, so they may be drawn to contact us to see if they can put new ones in place, as they are no longer receiving an energetic feed from us.
When the cords have been successfully severed, the illusions within that relationship will fall away, rendering us free to finally see the dynamic in a clear light, without emotions infiltrating and causing an energetic, painful disturbance.
Writing: Alex Myles
Main Image Pixabay