When we’ve gone through periods of extreme emotional or mental stress, our souls can go into temporary deep rest, which can feel similar to the symptoms associated with being depressed.
As much as we may try to lift ourselves out of it by thinking positively or attempting to shift our state through forcing ourselves to become more physically energetic, we will likely still feel vibrationally low.
The reason for this is that our soul needs time to repair in the same way tired muscles or broken bones take time to heal. Even though our soul is not visible, it is every bit as important as the vessel it’s contained in, and it is vital that we prioritise soul healing in the same way we place high importance on body damage.
One of the most noticeable signs of a tired soul is the desire to sleep much longer than normal—and even when we are not asleep, we struggle to motivate ourselves to carry out basic functions (to the level that even getting out of bed in the morning might seem impossible).
If we do not pay attention to our soul, and we ignore the warning signs that our energy is rapidly depleting, it can lead to more severe, long-term conditions such as mental health issues, chronic anxiety or depression.
When our soul is exhausted, we may notice that not only does our body feel like a lead weight and every movement is hard work, but all our sensitivities are heightened and we may feel on edge, running on adrenaline. Little things that we normally feel able to cope with seem as though they are too much to bear, and we become overwhelmed and close to a meltdown at the thought of dealing with anything out of the ordinary life might throw our way.
Here are some of the most common signs and symptoms that one’s soul is depleted of energy:
1. During the day, all we want to do is lie down and rest—and we are more prone to take frequent naps that we struggle to fully awaken from. When we do awaken, we still feel as though we are in a deep slumber, and we go through the day in a zombie-like state where everything seems as though it is playing out in slow motion. During the night, our sleep is restless as we experience turbulent, realistic dreams and nightmares that remain on our mind.
2. When someone asks us what is wrong with us, we fail to have any clear or concise answers that can fully translate how we feel. We know that something deep and complex is happening at a cellular level, but we can’t quite describe why we feel unable to shift out of our current state of being—or exactly why we feel this way in the first place.
3. We feel an intense aching sensation throughout our body, and we may experience tension headaches, stomachaches, ears ringing, dizziness, and blurred vision without any medical reason.
4. We feel as though we are out of sync with our current timeline; therefore, our mind is either operating a few moments before our body or a few moments slower, causing us to feel disorientated and fragmented.
5. All emotions are intensified, so we may feel highly emotional and tears will flow easily. We feel as though our hearts could burst with love and compassion or break due to heartache and devastation from one moment to the next.
6. Feeling a profound sense of loneliness even when around other people. Suddenly we question who we can truly trust, who genuinely cares, and who in our lives has ulterior motives.
7. Our bodies and muscles feel significantly weakened, and any movement feels exhausting; we lack energy, and exercise is no longer enjoyable but seems like hard work.
8. We experience chronic anxiety or mild panic attacks.
9. We have angry, bitter, resentful, or jealous thoughts about other people—when normally we are forgiving, compassionate, and don’t hold grudges.
10. Feeling uncertain about the future, jaded about life, and disinterested in hobbies and pursuits that we once enjoyed. The desire to leave everything behind and start over becomes more tempting by the day.
(Keep in mind that if you experience any of the symptoms listed here, please also seek the advice of a medical professional, as they could also be related to other medical-related causes.)
Our souls can feel weary, burdened, and fatigued for a variety of reasons. We may have gone through (or still be going through) a breakup that is taking its toll on our emotional and mental health. We may have suffered a great loss and are dealing with extreme grief, or we may be facing a series of life changes that are difficult to keep up with, as our daily reality is altering beyond recognition.
Other reasons may be that we are surrounded by people whose energy feels toxic; we are not living our truth, and we are putting others before ourselves—“people pleasing” and struggling to say no. Or, when we push ourselves too hard that we reach burnout level and “hit the wall.” Or, if we consume an unhealthy diet or foster addictions such as drugs and alcohol; or if we are dissatisfied with our life, we are in a job we dislike, we are experiencing abuse, or when we are holding on to the past instead of surrendering to the present moment.
Whatever the reason, our body and soul have been thrown out of alignment and require some time, care, and gentleness so that we can reenergise and realign.
To do this, we can:
1. Prioritise time for essential self-care over all else.
2. Rest as much as we need to.
3. Switch off technology and spend time doing our favourite things, such as reading, baking, art, listening to soothing music, hiking in nature, singing, candlelit salt-water baths, being around those we feel most comfortable with, or watching our favourite movies.
4. Taking time for spiritual practices, such as learning about the healing benefits of crystals, yoga, meditation, drumming and sun or moon gazing.
5. Detox and consume high-vibrational fresh fruits and vegetables.
6. Avoid negative self-talk. Whenever we catch ourselves talking down and criticising ourselves, we should stop what we are doing and become aware of our words—and then replace them with loving, kinder ones.
7. Spend time focusing on breathing exercises.
8. Practice grounding and balancing our energy.
The most essential thing to remember is that there is no time limit for healing a tired soul, so it is important to be patient with ourselves and to listen to our intuition, as it will guide us toward the root of the problem. Our souls are tough and resilient, and they will bounce back stronger than ever before.
When we are willing to pay attention to our soul’s cries, we are able to eliminate from our lives anything that causes us to feel debilitated and worn out—and to then replace anything harmful with positive, energising, meaningful experiences filled with radiance, beauty, and wonder—which is the remedy for a tired, burned-out soul and exactly what each one of us deserves.
Writing: Alex Myles
Main Image shutterstock (licence)
Disclaimer: This article is for information purpose only. In case of any medical concerns please see a health professional.
This is me right now.
Sick and tired of everything around me.
This piece was put in season
Thank you for this information. Sometimes you just have to see it in black and white for it to make sense and start the healing process or remind you that whatever you are going through- there are others who know and understand and can help guide you. Thank you again
Thank you feeling all of this. Happy to know I’m already doing the healthy things I need to, but this feels awful. I know it’s only a season but I have been here so many times it feels like I vacation in hell. 🙃
Beautiful ❤️…thank you…your words inspire me with the new year 2020…
This explains why I have felt flat this year. Last year went to hell and back with diagnosis of Breast Cancer, chemo, radiopherapy plus lost 3 great men from my life . Now to rebalance and start fresh, thanks
You are not alone. I see you. I feel you. I’m walking in your shoes and I understand.
Things make sense now. Thank you from the end of the universe, travelling back.
This is me too. Right now I am so tired and I was in bed for 12 hours. Don’t want to do anything.
I’ve lost 3 family members in the past 4 years. Was caregiver to all 3. No wonder my soul hurts. And last year I had some unexpected health issues, along with anxiety and depression. Thank you for writing this and for your suggestions for healing.
Are there any other articles about this? Any other information?
This is me right now. I am feeling so lost and out of sinc and I don’t know what to do. I am not depressed, just confused about life and what I want for my future. Just out of touch and out of balance. Just needing some guidance. 🙁
This is so me right now, I lost my soulmate in February to suicide, in a year when nothing makes sense anymore. My dreams are vivid but confusing. Thank you for writing this, I do feel like this is a dark night of my soul.
What if you were born with a tired soul…?
Perfectly captured what it feels like! I feel seen. After N.CA fires, mean people running the country, more fires, Covid, loss of friends and family….yet we kept asking, “but it’s over, why are still feeling so awful, what are we doing wrong?”
This has made it easer for me to comprehend where I am at right here right now.
I had always been someone who lived life and trusted my intuition and loved from the soul…
I worked as a Social Worker for the past 25 years, raised 3 daughters as a single mother…. I then entered a relationship in the past seven and half years that has tested every ounce of self worth and identity, my soul feels depleted.
2023 is my year to care for my soul, rejuvenate and live life to my fullest.
This explains it perfectly what I am going through.